29 July 2009

We're Going to China!

For the third time in our marriage, we have found ourselves with an uncertain future. And for the third time in our marriage, we have decided to take that uncertain future to China. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) we have always ended up with a "real" job and a more stable situation.
When Austin graduated from college, he got a 3-month internship with Chaco and we set up a 4-6 month job living/working/teaching at a factory in southern China. A couple months into our time at Chaco, it became apparent that it would become permanent. And by the end of that year, we had bought a house and set up permanent camp.
Fast forward two years, Austin found himself jobless again due to...well...some poor decisions coupled with budget issues, partnered with a lousy economy. Once again, we considered the option of going to China. This time we looked at going to Beijing where Austin's brother and family live. We were all so excited about the prospect of living near relatives as each of us had been pretty remote for the last couple years. (I know, Paonia is not as remote as China, but it was still pretty hard to get to.) We made a few plans and inquiries, but ultimately landed the job in Boise, Idaho.
Four months later, the job in Boise was no more. And after a few weeks of job searching, we decided that the best option was for Austin to use this time to finally fulfill his goal of going to business school and getting an MBA. The only problem was that admissions were already closed for the year. That meant we had approximately one year to fill before we would head off to school. So...get a "real" job, or go to China? Hmmm....
I am pleased to say that on Monday I received Carson's passport and as of 4:30 yesterday afternoon, I have sent off all the necessary paperwork for our visas. Austin is actually gone for the week. He got a job rafting on the Salmon River for a few weeks so I've been left to complete the details while he's gone. We didn't think to have passport/visa-style pictures taken before he left, so I had to cut his head out of a family picture. Here's hoping the Chinese Embassy will feel lenient towards us and issue the visas anyway!

3 comments:

HeatherB said...

Hi! I am super super super excited that you guys are doing this! I want to know so much more about your plans, but I'll email ya. And I'm crossing my fingers that we will get to cross paths in China. :)

Amber said...

Sounds exciting. I hope the picture works out for you. :)

Amanda Tippetts said...

Jason is super jealous! I hope it is a great experience for you guys.