23 July 2009

Time Out

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'm just pretty speechless!

The last couple days, Carson--in his ever-increasing toddlerness--has started being naughty. And willfully so! He likes to throw things, and I know that he knows what I'm saying when I tell him not to. Because most of the time he will stop and hand me whatever is in his hand. But several times yesterday and today, the child has willfully rebelled and continued to throw things!

I decided it was time to take action. He seems a bit young for "time-outs", but I didn't know what else to do. I decided to make the small gap next to our bookshelf by the front door his designated spot and placed him there after an episode. I told that he was in time-out for throwing things at me and turned my back on him for a few seconds. (That seemed sufficient for the goldfish-sized memory of a 15-month-old.) Then I explained again why he was in time-out, told him he could get up now, and gave him a hug.

I repeated the same drill twice today, and on the third time (still throwing stuff at me!) I knelt down in front of him and said, "Do you want to go to time out?" He said, "Huh?!" (That's the noise he when he's excited for something.) (Well, actually, that's just the primary noise he makes for everything.) I kindof wimped out and just took the thing away from him that he was throwing, and figured that all he had understood was "Do you want to go" because he started heading for the door.

A second later, I realised he wasn't pulling on the door handle, and I couldn't see him. This is where I found him standing:

Now what do I do??!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I think maybe he thinks you are playing hide and seek with him. My kids love that game and even my 4 year old thinks that if she is hiding(even in the open) I can't see her. Try putting him in his bed for a minute, without you in the room. He may cry but he will get the point quick. We did this about the same age with our now 2 year old. Good luck!

Erynn Marie said...

Hmm, an interesting thought. Seems like it might just make him hate bedtime, tho.

Megan Lewis said...

Give him a kiss and tell him just how darn cute he is. It may not help with the discipline, but he is awfully cute. (btw, I responded to your comment in my comments section.)

Alison said...

We have "the naughty step" which all 3 kids know as not the place to be. They usually sit there for however many minutes their age is. But it has seemed to help, since Mei has gotten into that habit of being quite wild at times. :) He'll get it soon enough that time out isn't fun time. Good luck! :)

Amanda Tippetts said...

Good luck! I have absolutely no advice or suggestions. We just repeat ourselves and put her down for naps... Who knows what works but I'm sure by the time they are 18 they'll know right from wrong. At least I hope!