22 February 2009

The Adventures of Austin's Beard

You, unlike all of the people who know us here in Idaho, may perhaps already know that Austin is usually a clean-shaven type of fellow. Last Fall, after completing our job hunting road trip, he decided to try an experimental Unemployment Beard. "Afterall," he said, "As a man, I have this hair that grows out of my face every day, and every day I'm supposed to cut it. It would seem a pity--for the sake of routine--to have never once just let it grow to see what it could become."

With that, and no other good reason to shave it off, Austin let it grow and grow. And then when we moved here to start the new job at AIRE, he realised that the beard provided great warmth to his face during his morning bike ride to work. Plus his new boss also has a giant, shaggy beard. So he decided to let it stay.

I understand many women have strong feelings one way or the other about men with beards. I have been mostly supportive and unopinionated--especially since I recognised the novelty and insulative value. (My only beef was that the mustache interfered with kissing suction...) Since I hadn't cut his hair since Carson was born either, I allowed myself to enjoy this wild-man phase.

This morning, after some internal debate, Austin decided that 3 1/2 months was long enough, and that he was done with the beard. We documented the event.

The first stroke of the trimmer...

Beard Art.

As clumps of hair clung to the remaining beard, Austin commented,
"I feel like I'm shearing a sheep!"


Shaving a beard is kind of an event for men.
Another Austin observation:
"There are so many possibilities, but you only get one course!"
Next year, he'll try the Chinstrap Beard and Handlebar Mustache.

This may be the funniest picture of Austin in existence.
I call him Earl.
Please note the creepy "mole hair" on his chin. I call it "Earl's Curl."


After trimming the once huge, bushy and dignified beard down to the Hitler/Chaplin stage, Austin shaved first one side...and then the other.

And as he looked at me with his newly clean-shaven face, I said,
"You have a small face! You look like a 12 year old!"

I also mentioned that he looked remotely like Frodo.
He said, "No, this looks like Frodo."
(see above)


After the shave, I gave him a celebratory haircut.

And when I kissed him with his new, smooth face, he asked me, "How does it feel to kiss a girl?"

9 comments:

Outsideofacat said...

hello you... how odd, i don´t know why the page won´t load for you it does fine for me. here is what it says in said post:
eat more fruit & read more poetry
one of my poems is featured on "breathing poetry" - an interesting poetry blog i encourage you to check out. not just because they liked my poem. (wink)
you can find the blog right here:
http://breathing-poetry.blogspot.com/

btw congratulations on the wonderful hedgetrimming job. he looks much much better now. :-)

Outsideofacat said...

p.s. shouldn´t your post title be "i kissed a girl (and i would do it again)" (the original version not that sad confused remake from last year... lol) anyway. you have a handsome husband.

Megan Lewis said...

Wow, Austin, you are so versatile. I am loving the various beard looks.

bridgette said...

Bridgette's comments- wow. WOW. That is a LOT of hair. He does look like Frodo. (there was also lots of laughing in between statements)

Gary's comments- Your welcome (this was said in Bridgette's direction, referring to the fact that he shaves daily)

Nora's comments- Who's that? (and then when asked if she liked Austin with hair or without hair her response was- "without hair"

So, that's it- from our house to yours- we prefer you sans hair.

Lisa said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this photo journal entry...quite entertatining! He really does look remarkably like Elijah Wood...errr, but bigger...and uhhh, manlier...yeah. ;) Todd could NEVER grow a beard like that (you may recall the time he tried to when we lived at CT...came back from Salina with that scruffy little thing). Count yourself lucky :).

Amanda Tippetts said...

Oh man, that was a good one! Too bad it wasn't closer to Halloween. You could have hit a new party with every shave.

Sticks and Stones said...

That was some good fun - how else can you experiment with so many different looks in such a short amount of time. Good photo op for sure. I am a fan of a clean shaven man personally - you look great Austin! And you area good wife Erynn!

Amber said...

That was very funny. Thanks for the laugh. I love reading your blog.
You seem so happy and have a good looking family. Hope we can meet up sometime soon.

Autumn said...

So fun to read the whole scoop. It is so amazing how different one person can look with or without hair. I can definitely understand the idea of hair growth. We are currently experimenting with something kind of similar-on TOP of Jake's head. I am wild about curls. He is so-so. His hair is starting to recede. (sp?) All I want for Christmas (or spring) is a full head of curls. So its longer than usual. He can't stand the length but knows how much I adore it. :)