Would we be able to get another job? Would we stay here (and have Austin work in the coal mines) or go elsewhere? Should we put our house on the market now or wait? Should we go to China to spend a few months adventuring and visiting Austin's brother and sister-in-law? The options were endless, but some out of our control, and how to decide between them anyway?
We did a lot of things. We did put our house up for sale. (see http://www.paoniarealty.com/wilcox.html) We looked into getting a passport for Carson. We enjoyed our new found free time and went to Lake Powell and my Uncle Carter and his family. And we went on a two-and-a-half week, 3,500 mile road trip to visit companies and see what opportunities were out there.
We drove from Paonia to American Fork, UT; then on to Boise, ID; Bend, OR; Portland, OR; Corvallis, OR; Tacoma/Seattle, WA; Moscow, ID; Post Falls, ID; Bozeman, MT; and back to Salt Lake City and home again to Paonia. Sometimes we camped (once, as displayed by Carson);
sometimes we stayed in hotels (twice); but mostly we stayed with friends and family--some of whom we hadn't seen for years! It was pretty intense and long, but we learned a ton about what would be a good job for Austin, and where we would be willing to live. It was amazing to realise how many people I know in most of those areas. In fact, now that we're home, I think I missed a couple. Sadly, we weren't very good at taking pictures on this trip. There are only a couple, but here they are below.
The week we got home, Austin received a call from a raft-building company in Boise called AIRE. They build whitewater rafts, fishing boats, and some industrial and military supplies as well. They had been needing to hire an engineer, but hadn't posted a position yet. When Austin showed up, it was somewhat serendipitous to them. And they were so impressed with Austin, that it has turned out to be serendipitous to us as well! After a couple weeks of evaluating and bargaining, they have offered Austin a job at an acceptable salary!
Austin's start date with AIRE is December 17 (my parent's 29th wedding anniversary, actually), so we have just over a month to get things sorted out here (including finally tackling the job of fixing our wretched foundation and packing up all of our stuff) and then we're off onto a new life adventure! Woo hoo!
It's weird, of course. I moved a lot growing up. And then I was a transient student and missionary for a long time too. But moving here was the first time I felt like I was able to--and supposed to--put roots down. Plus, we love this area--I loved it from the first moment I set eyes on it when Austin was visiting as a Chaco Intern. So leaving here will definitely take some adjustment.
And soon we're off to Boise, ID. Back to tract suburbia and big box stores. I've gotten pretty good at not spending frivolously out here in the boonies. We'll have to see how I do with daily access to a Target!
11 comments:
Great update! Best of luck with Boise!
Today's word verification: snated. As is, the more civilly appropriate version of snotted, i.e. "Beware, lest you be snated on by the peasantry."
Yeah! That is so exciting. The pictures you took are great. Carson is adorable, as always. So, you have to make sure you pinny-pench and don't spend frivilously at Target, because you had better be a part of the weekend away next year now that we know you will be in the country!! Call me soon so we can chat.
haha...I put "pinny-pench" my bad....oh well, I never claimed I was a spelling bee champ! :)
That's closer to us! We may make you guys a pit stop on our adventures now.
that sounds like a lot of fun even though the circumstances forced you to do it. Looks like you went through missoula? I still love that town even though you can't make any money there. A rafting company sounds like fun! best of luck to you guys!
sounds perfect! Too bad your parents aren't there anymore. But we will be glad to have you close by. My dad lives there too so maybe we will visit.
Your house is cute - I bet you are sad to leave. Any offers yet???
Erynn, your house is soo cute!! I hope my home looks that good one day! I am so happy for you both and best of luck in Idaho.
My first reaction: Uh, yeah you missed some, why didn't you visit me?
My second reaction: AIEEE!!! YOU ARE MOVING TO BOISE!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!! That's right by me! (well like an hour). But no, for real, I go there all the time (like almost once a week!)
So we officially have to be friends again. And when you guys are bored, you can come up and visit me! I can take you snowboarding, snowmobiling, show you the Ashley Inn Christmas Extraganza, we can go to the Ice Carnival up in McCall...
the options out here are endless!
I am SO EXCITED!
Thats awesome you are going to Boise!!! Maybe we can plan a camping weekend (or something around those lines) and meet in the middle!!!! Huzzah!!
Congrats! Sounds like a great adventure. Isn't it great when things work out like that! Good Luck with all the packing and moving! I wish I didn't live so close to a Target here. It has become a nasty habit... :)
I am so excited for you guys. Don't look at the things you are leaving behind. Rather, look at the endless possibilities. Plus, if you don't like Boise, there's always somewhere else, though I can't see you guys not making the most of anywhere.
Post a Comment