18 February 2010

Sain Bain uu

(Sounds like "san ba no")  That's how you say "Hello" in Mongolian.  They're quick to point out that you say that instead of "Ni hao" when you cross into their country from China. 
 
Our Chinese Visas are valid for a year, but we were required to leave the country after 6 months to get them restamped.  Most people go to Hong Kong or South Korea.  But Mongolia is closer, so we thought we'd be sneaky and go there--for much much cheaper.  And who wouldn't want to say that they'd been to Mongolia?! 
 
So today I am sitting in a hotel room in a "small" town on the Chinese/Mongolian border, called Erlian (or Eren Hot on the map.)  It's technically in China, but this part of China is called Inner Mongolia.  Today we crossed the border into Zamyn-Uud.  It's almost as unearth-ily cool on the ground as it looks on Google Maps. 
 
This trip has been full of awesome craziness and complication, and I intend to write a full report once it's all said and done.)  There may be more craziness yet!  But I wanted to get a couple pictures posted--to let you know I'm in [Inner] Mongolia!!!

7 comments:

Outsideofacat said...

lovin'the pool table... that picture is awesome in and of itself. you should send it to the national geographic or something. no kiddin.

i'll be intrigued to hear more...

while in mongolia, did you have coca cola chicken? i lived in a place with a mongolian lady once, in england, and she said it was a mongolian thing, and then she cooked it for me - WOW. lots of cola, and then garlic and of course chicken. best chicken i ever had.

Amanda Tippetts said...

Smart thinking to jump the border and i can't believe the picture taking potential.

Megan Lewis said...

You are alive!! Its been so long since you've blogged, I've been worried! I am glad you got to see Mongolia. And it's everything I always wanted it to be but didn't think it would be in real life. the huts Erynn, the huts!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Sticks and Stones said...

Wow! As I say every time I hear an update from or about you all. What a wonderful experience you 3 are having, learning and creating priceless memories! We always look forward to your blog/emails. Loved the Chinese New Year video your dad posted! Bode can't wait to speak Chinese with you both! Look forward to hearing more form you. ;)

mommafiona said...

We only got to drive through there, never stay the night. What a grand life you're living!! Love hearing about it. Life here seems so materialistic in comparison. Live it up! But I guess nobody needs to tell you that, you're obviously doing quite well in that category.

Holly said...

so jealous. so so jealous...

HABBENINK said...

Awesome adventure! Glad your having fun and keeping safe.