22 October 2008

Might Be A Quarter Life Crisis

Today marks the 28th anniversary of my birth. Is it too late to have a quarter life crisis? Actually, I don't even really know if this qualifies as a life crisis as I'm not concerned about what I haven't done, but rather what I'm no longer doing.


I'm actually doing wonderful things, but I fear that getting older is making me boring! I have fun with my husband Austin, I adore my baby Carson, I exercise with my dog Seamus, I have a good job (for now) with Chaco, and all in all, life is pretty good. Then how come I can no longer think of anything that seems fun to write about? I used to send weekly emails under the title of The Twice Fornightly Dispatch. I've sent maybe 3 of those in the past year, which I'm pretty sure negates the "Twice Fortnightly" part of it. So as part of setting my "New Year" (as in my 29th year) resolutions, I have decided to take up writing again.


I have also decided to stop fighting technology. When everyone else started "blogging", I felt that was what I had already been doing for nearly 3 years with my weekly email. Why should I change my methods? Plus, I thought (and still think) BLOG is a stupid word. So I avoided the formality of the "Blogosphere." (Can you believe the speed with which this word has been created, widely used, and even conjugated? I love English.)


But then I remembered how in high school when everyone was getting hip to email, I shunned and ridiculed it, thinking, "What could I possibly use that for?" And then I thought about my feelings towards cell phones when my college roommates started getting them. "What, are you too good for the land line?" And now, of course, like everyone else, I hardly know how to exist without either of these innovations. So as I said before, I will now embrace the technology and convenience afforded me by this Internet Dream and use this instead of an email. HOWEVER, I still maintain the right to refuse to call it a Blog. It is either a Web Journal, or more precisely the Twice Fortnightly Dispatch. My verb will be "dispatching."


My feeling is that in so doing, I will once again be able to force myself to not only notice, but to remember the interesting things that happen to me thruout the week. I have a belief that, contrary to the pattern of previous journals and correspondances, I don't have to be on a mission or have a crush in order for things to be interesting. I live in beautiful Paonia, Colorado, for pete's sake! I'm married to an adventurous man who can't sit still for more than a couple hours at a time; I have possibly the cutest and funniest 6 month old baby boy ever; and the coolest, most energetic border collie to keep me on my toes.


And so, it is my resolution at the onset of my 29th year of life to rejuvenate my existance by documenting it twice each fortnight--and forcing myself to remember all the interesting things that have happened to me thruout the course of each week. Wish me luck!


(Now, if I could only figure out how to get back to this page without having to go thru someone else's website! What's my web address?!)

9 comments:

David said...

I totally miss all the updates, but it seems everyone is moving into the weblogging world. Too bad my friends and I were doing that way back in 2001 before that was even a word. On livejournal, no less. HEH.

As for posting material, can we repeat that you have a 6mo old? All you have to do is post new pictures of him once a week and everyone will be incredibly entertained. Some of my friends do just that.

Megan Lewis said...

Hey Girl,
Welcome to the blogging world. I'll send you my blog address soon. Oh sorry, web journal address!! Love ya!
Megan

Valarie said...

Awww, sweetie, it's not at all that your life is no longer interesting enough to find things to write about, it's that your brain has turned into mommy mush and putting forth the effort to think hard enough to come up with something that people would actually be interested in reading is too daunting of a task to take on in between diaper changes and working midnight feedings......welcome to motherhood (oh, and the wonderful world of BLOGging!!)

cindave said...

i also resisted the blog thing, but i'm fully converted, and i love it. i have connected to so many long lost friends. blogging, dispatching, whatever...welcome! can't wait to see some pictures of your little guy! my blog is private, so i'll send an invite to your new gmail account. --Cinda

The Cochran Family said...

BLOG, FROG, Smog....how can you judge something for it's name for pete's sake! :) No worries, I love that you have finally sucummed and Val and I can pretend that we had something to do with it, with all our affectinate proding! :) So you have not moved? You are hanging in there and just you are working? I can't wait to see more pixs of you fam! Thanks for doing this!

Alicia and Ryan said...

I shared the same sentiments with cell phones and blogs. I have gone to the dark side, too. Embrace it.

Amanda Tippetts said...

Yay! Welcome...

Alene said...

yeah! I'm excited to read it. I love hearing about your outdoors adventures

Mark and Sarah +2 said...

I know what you mean about thinking you don't have anything terribly exciting to write about. But, I also then remember the beautiful boy I have and realize that's enough. You can get to my blog under your followers. I'm glad you decided to start this.