26 March 2012

Some notes from the Holiday Season

I never finished my Thanksgiving post, but I realised that, while we had a good time, to write about everything wouldn't be super interesting.  We had a delicious, traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings--including a labor intensive, delicious, gourmet stuffing made by Logan.  I contributed apple and blackbottom pies.  And Sarah and I made a pact not to let each other eat ourselves into disgusting, piggish discomfort.  And for that, I was grateful.  Leftovers are always so yummy, so why make youreslf uncomfortable feeling like you have to eat it all at once?

Up at the Wilcox Farm, Austin and his brothers put their backs and brains into hanging swings in the barn and a zipline next to the house.  The kids were thrilled with both, and even the adults had some fun with the swings.  More than one person attempted to swing high enough to kick the rafters in the roof of the barn--tho I'm not sure anyone succeeded.

The highlight for our little Cora was that she took her first steps.  Although I managed to bring both of our cameras, I foolishly didn't charge the batteries on either one.  So I got zero pictures on our Nikon, and very little video with our camcorder.  Fortunately, however, I did get video of Cora walking.  Logan set her up on the rug in the living room, and she probably took 10 steps before she either fell or reached her goal.  She did this a handful of times, but then gave up walking altogether for the next month or so. 

The highlight for Carson, aside from having a blast playing with his cousins (especially including wrestling with Rocky on the indoor trampoline) was family friend Randy's blue convertible Corvette Stingray that he drove to church on Sunday.  Carson's favorite show is still Top Gear (car enthusiast show on the BBC), and seeing such a sweet ride in real life sends this little boy into fits of excitement.  Hearing Randy rev the engine and (appripriately) peel out of the church parking lot were both very thrilling to him.  (And it's possible that Randy and Carson were both enjoying the car on basically the same level.  Sheer giddiness.)

The highlight for me was a lunch date out with all the adults.  We went to a swanky place in Frederick, MD called Volt.  It's the first time I've ever eaten at a real foodie establishment.  I was intrigued by the elaborate presentation and the extreme diversity in the ingredients.  If I'm completely honest, I think I'm a little too pedestrian to really appreciate a place like that, but I was very happy with everything I ate.

I think the highlight for Austin was being out of doors and with his brothers.  He was able to play Turkey Bowl football and joke around and have the types of discussions he can't have with me because I don't like to debate for debate's sake.  He got to use tools building the zipline and swings, and he got to have a break from the city life we've been living for the last 3 years.

It was a good Thanksgiving.  It's always good to spend time at home.

No comments: