05 July 2011

Woodland Park Zoo

Last week we took a trip with our MBA friends to the Zoo here in Seattle.  Like all good kids, Carson loves the Zoo.  When Austin asked him what we were going to do while he was at work, Carson said, "Go..to...the...ZOO!!!"  He was very excited.

 So we met up with our friends Sara and Lindsay and their little girls (all the other families here have only girls--Carson is a lone wolf) and ran around the Zoo for a good 3 hours or so.

This Zoo here seems to be much more geared towards the animals than the spectators.  Looking back on the day, I felt like we had just chased the kids thru a heavily wooded area, pausing occasionally to peer into various enclosed grassy places in search of the distant animals.  But I'm glad I took these pictures, because it seems we did get to see a fairly decent array of animals:

 (The [hideous] orangutans are eating star-shaped popsicles in honor of the Independance Day weekend.)

I guess I remember Zoos being a lot cooler when I was a kid.  My parents took me to the Phoenix Zoo for my...8th? 9th? birthday and I was SUPER excited.  I don't know if that's because the Phoenix Zoo is particularly cool, because I usually went there on school field trips, so they had things organized for us to see, or if it's just the wonder and amazement that kids see in everything.  Or maybe it's a combination of all of that.  I still like the Zoo, but sometimes I like them better than others. 

 Carson and the kids didn't mind much that there weren't very many animals visible. There were plenty of things to do on the grounds.

Cora was mainly concerned with staying out of the sun. 

 This is Carson's new best buddy, Giselle.  She's 4 and from England.  He's friends with all the girls here, and it's fun to watch them all play together, but it's Giselle's hand he wants to hold when we're walking, and it's he and Giselle that chatter together the most--and boss each other around the most.  It's quite cute.

3 comments:

Megan Lewis said...

okay, so Cora is beautiful! Also, Carson is looking so old, I've really gotta meet these kidos. I'm so glad you are having such a great time in WA! (also, I'm pretty sure the Az zoo isn't that exciting, but I could be wrong, I only go for zoo lights at christmas and the animals are all asleep. I'll need to re-visit during the day to give you a better answer)

Amanda Tippetts said...

Ditto on Cora and I think Whitney might get pretty jealous of this Giselle person! We are semi planning her birthday party and we wish you guys were here!

Sara said...

Erynn, your posts are great. I'm so glad your family is here too, so we can experience all these things together. I'm completely with you about this Zoo. The animals are too far away. Still is fun. And yes Giselle loves Carson too. :)