05 June 2011

I love Seattle. Why doesn't it love me?

Moments ago, I posted a story about the unfortunate car-towing incident from our previous trip to Seattle 3 years ago.  Of all the places we visited on that road trip, we thought we were least likely to ever return to Seattle.  And yet, here we are.  Right in the thick of it. 

But I have to say, I really do like it here.  Everyone I've ever known from the Seattle, Washington area has told me that this would be my kind of town, and I've always wanted to test that theory.  Since being married, and especially after moving to Paonia, I've considered myself a real rural kind of girl.  But I've long known that, deep down inside, there is a city girl who likes to stretch her legs now and then. 

I love big-city transit.  I love the crowds of people all going about their own business.  I love the blend of cultures and people.  I love the fancy restaurants.  I love the traffic (as an observer, not a driver or course).  I love the window shopping.  I love the feeling of importance about everything.  I love the walking and the convenience--in Beijing, I could get nearly any fruit or vegetable from the base of my apartment building.  Of course there are drawbacks, but I still love those things, nonetheless.

So despite the anxiety that comes with any big change, I was excited for the adventure.  It would be a little more difficult than living in Beijing because now I have 2 kids, but I would have access to our car if I needed it.  However, this was the city that TOWED OUR CAR the last time we visited.  Optimistically, we plowed ahead. 

The morning of our second day, we went down to the bike racks in our (secured) parking garage only to discover that the rear wheel of my mountain bike, and the body of Austin's [brand new] mountain bike had been stolen.  STOLEN!  Austin just got that mountain bike for his birthday--he had actually been saving since his previous birthday to buy it.  Off a locked bike rack in a locked parking garage!!!  True, we hadn't been super cautious--they didn't cut the lock, they just took the parts that weren't directly secured by the lock.  But the garage was locked!  Why does Seattle hate us?  It makes me SO sick to think about it!

Having something stolen is such a violating feeling.  The audacity of someone to just take something that isn't theirs!!!  Don't they know what it means to the person they're taking it from??!  So fwustwating.

Well, the insurance company is going to cover most of the bike.  That whole day was actually a regular comedy of errors, including a lost driver's license and a misplaced wallet as well. 

But we're back in the saddle, hoping Seattle doesn't decide to round the curveballs it throw us up to that charming number 3.  In the meantime, I'm enjoying the smells of the sea, the tourist attractions, and the apparent abundance of oxygen.  Seriously!  It's like I'm breathing air ambrosia or something!  Every couple of breaths, I just take in this sweet, sweet air that makes me so happy!  I don't even know how to describe it!  Perhaps the over-use of exclamation points that I've just noticed in this paragraph is a good indicator of how it is making me feel!

That is all!  And to all a good night!

3 comments:

Amanda Tippetts said...

I totally know what you mean about having something stolen... Las Vegas... I'm glad you made it and I hope you found someone to rent your place here.

Outsideofacat said...

air ambrosia.... bottle some and send it to me please? :)

Megan Lewis said...

Yikes! So sorry about the mountain bikes. I've always loved the pacific northwest. I know this is the beginning of better things to come!