11 September 2010

Road Trippin': Days 9 to 12

When we got to Paonia, we stayed with our dear old friend Rita. We lived in Rita's attic for the first 8 months after Austin got his job with Chaco. He had actually stayed at her house the previous summer while doing an internship with Chaco, and I came out to visit. Rita is a wonderful woman, and although I had been nervous about the prospect of living in someone else's house for an indetermined amount of time, it so quickly became my home that I soon forgot all about my apprehensions. So when we went back for a visit, it seemed the natural place to stay.

The house is over 100 years old, and the top right picture above is the loft/attic where we lived. We had pull-down attic ladder-stairs and a mattress on the floor, but pretty much everything we needed. We loved it there. Carson also loved it on this trip--most especially because Rita had wooden trains!

In addition to visiting Rita, we got to attend church in Paonia and see all of our old friends from the ward. On Monday night we got together with Ryan and Holly, the couple who replaced us as the sole, young, married couple without any kids. We only got to hang out together for about 2 months before we moved away, and we were each sad to us go. But it was fun to see them again, as well as their new little baby girl and new home. They have a beautiful house just outside of town.

Then on Tuesday nite, we got together with some of our old Chaco friends. It was pretty last minute, so the gathering was small. But it was nice to see several of the people we knew and had worked with.

The primary reason for travelling thru Paonia was to check up on our little house which still has not sold after two years on the market. We did some basic yard work and routine maintenance, and Austin did some repairs to the rock wall he had built just before we left. But perhaps the highlight of our stop in the North Fork Valley was a little raft trip with our friend Dave.



Dave's been a good friend and something of a mentor for Austin since he first started his interactions and work with Chaco. It was good to see that he and his wife were doing so well despite the struggles that many of our friends are experiencing. And it was great to get out into some beautiful, fresh, unspoiled territory--especially after having lived in Big City Beijing. (Austin just noted that I should also mention that Dave is his inspiration for what type of shape he'd like to be in when he's 60--out-running, hiking, boating, etc most of the guys Austin's age now!)

Carson has been rafting since he was just 3 weeks old, but this was his first real trip since he's been mobile. He loved it! He was a little freaked out by the mini waterfall that dumped us all into the center of the boat and soaked us with a big helping of cold river water, but pretty soon recovered and continued to proclaim loudly all day that he had been "on a boat!" and "on the river!" and that there was (a waterfall!" and "a big splash!" (In fact, nearly 2 months later, he just saw those pictures and started rambling about all those same things again just now.)

It was interesting to be back in our little "hometown." The place we had our first job, our first dog, our first kid, our first home...and our first lay-off. It's bittersweet. We really wish we could finally sell our house and have done with it, but the memories built there are very special to us.

I took the opportunity to go on my old morning walk route around Lamborn Mesa while we were there, and MAN! There is something so refreshing (seriously, like taking a drink from a tall glass of cool water) about seeing those fields and mountains in the early morning light. It tugged at my heart strings to be reminded that this wasn't mine anymore. But I continually reminded myself that rather than selfishly wish I could still hold on to everything I have ever loved, I needed to be grateful for what time I've been given--whether it be with people, places, pets, or pastimes--and learn to move on.

So I stiffened my resolve, and set my mind to prepare to move to Provo.

1 comment:

Amanda Tippetts said...

I just finished reading of the epic journey. You are so fun to read. Like a good novel and you guys do some really fun things. I'm excited we live close again.